How to Sell a Car in California
Beverly Hills and Inglewood car shoppers have been trusting Mercedes-Benz of Los Angeles to provide them with the new Mercedes-Benz vehicle of their dreams for years. But did you know that at our dealership, we buy cars? Whether you want to trade-in your vehicle for a new one or you simply are looking for a convenient way to unload your old vehicle, we can help. With that said, here’s a guide to how to sell your car at our dealership or elsewhere in Los Angeles!
Steps to Sell a Car in California
Selling your car to a private party is a bit more involved than selling to a dealership:
- Gather all the California DMV forms you’ll need: there are several, including a California Certificate of Title, notarized Lienholder’s Release (if there’s a loan), or a replacement title from the lender in lieu of these documents if the vehicle is two years old or less. Note that these are just the basic forms and others may be required.
- Get your car vehicle smog inspected if required at a STAR smog testing station. If your vehicle is newer than 4 years old this likely will not be required.
- Have the buyer get the vehicle inspected at this point in time if they want.
- Ensure you can pay transfer, title registration, taxes, and fees upon sale of the vehicle.
- Fill out all forms, review, and sign with the buyer.
- Submit all forms to your local California DMV to officially transfer the vehicle ownership over to the new buyer. Note that until the DMV office receives a completed application for transfer of ownership and payment of any fees from the new owner, the vehicles is not fully transferred over to them.
How to Sell Your Car to a Dealership
Selling your car to a Los Angeles area dealership like Mercedes-Benz of Los Angeles is much easier than selling it to a private party. Here’s how the process of selling your car differs:
- Make an Appointment: It is usually best to make an appointment so the dealer knows to expect you and can have the proper documents and people ready to assist you. But it’s not always necessary.
- Used Car Manager: Usually, the dealership’s used car manager will handle the transaction, helping you through the steps. Remember, these professionals deal with many sales, which can work to your advantage if you’re worried about ensuring that everything is squared away.
- Inspection: In some cases, the Used Car Manager will inspect your vehicle, or they’ll have it taken to their service center for an inspection.
- Consider the Offer: Based on what the dealership offers you, you can accept the offer or shop around.
Why Sell a Car to a Dealership Like Mercedes-Benz of Los Angeles?
As we’ve mentioned, selling your car to a dealership instead of a private party is easier and more convenient. We take care of all of the paperwork and you avoid the hassle of having to list your vehicle yourself! Plus, if you’re wondering how to sell a car with a loan, it’s more or less the same as selling one without a loan if you go to a dealership since you’re not doing the legwork of finding the right forms! Here are some other perks:
- Save on Your Taxes: When you trade in your current car and buy another one from Mercedes-Benz of Los Angeles, you only pay the sales tax on the difference between the trade-in value and the cost of your new car.
- Save Time & Avoid Hassles: Needing to list your car online (and pay for said listing), weeding through potential buyers to see if they’re serious, and inviting strangers to your Inglewood home are all eliminated when you sell your car to a dealership.
- Lower Your New Car Price: Looking to buy a new Mercedes-Benz? When you trade in your vehicle, the price you get is automatically applied against your next loan! Now that’s convenient.
Sell Your Car to Mercedes-Benz of Los Angeles Today!
Ready to sell your car to Mercedes-Benz of Los Angeles? We’re ready to help! Contact us with any other questions you may have. Then, be sure to visit our Los Angeles dealership to get your vehicle appraised and be one step closer to selling it!
More from Mercedes-Benz of Los Angeles
When it comes to time to work with our Mercedes-Benz financing team here at Mercedes-Benz of Los Angeles, using the 20-4-10 rule is an excellent way to ensure that you make a sound financing decision. Whether you wish to finance a Mercedes-Benz SUV, a coupe, or a sedan, the 20-4-10 rule can help you save…
If you’re a luxury car enthusiast shopping for a performance-oriented new model, the Mercedes-Benz AMG® line and the BMW M Series are likely on your list. While both lines of vehicles undoubtedly offer a thrilling driving experience, with vehicles appropriate for both track and everyday driving, the Mercedes-Benz AMG® line stands out thanks to several…
One of the most versatile aspects of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter line of vans is their upfit options. Whether for business or pleasure, the upfit options in the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter allow you to configure it to your needs in various ways. Here at Mercedes-Benz of Los Angeles, our friendly dealers are happy to explain a few…